Saturday, December 30, 2006

Home for the Holidays

I just finished a day with family. I am in Big D right now celebrating the rest of the holiday. Since I finished all my work until January 2, I have now turning my attention to interview transcriptions. After buying a new cassette recorder for my dad to help, I sat down and got two 60+ minute tapes done in twelve hours. Whom who buys cassette tape recorders anymore. You know they girl at the Circuit City was given me a hassle about why I don't want to go digital. And then just now, my mom couldn't figure out how to pause a movie on the DVR.

I guess we are still blending the old world of analogue with the new digital world when doing qualitative research. I can't imagine if my faculty would even consider the value of blogs or recording using a laptop. Now don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily thing of them as old, but I just don't think many of them realize the technology that today's college students are into. Even more and more graduates students are also getting myspace or facebook accounts.

Well what did I learn from my interviews today. Well participant number seven pointed out two really important things about the law school. First, she pointed out that the law school seems to be a fairly segregated environment with subgroups that remain fairly isolated. She also mentioned that the each law student could benefit from an academic advisor. Hmm, right now I am getting distracted by The Matador. The hit man failed to facilitate properly. Anyway I think I will be able to get another two cassettes done tomorrow.

No comments: