Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Great Glass Elevators

I can't believe I set foot back in that building again. It was this morning. A sunny but very cold day and my dad needed to get his watch. The place was the Dallas World Trade Center (no not the one in New York). Ever since my parents started their antique business here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, they became members of the WTC. So why would I be so apprehensive about this place? Well it was 2001 and I was expected to complete a task that usually accompanies graduation from law school. You guessed it. I had to the take the State of Texas Bar Exam.

So there we were parking and going inside the building. It was much quieter than I remember but the floor number was unmistakable - 12th floor. Interestingly enough this building does have a 13th floor. What could have been. I have always been apprehensive about this place because of the 2 1/2 days that occurred that July. I remember leaving that building every day as the test went on feeling nauseous. Not to mention that I had to take the large glass elevators to get up there.

I don't know why, but I have always felt anxiety in elevators. Of course I am not afraid of heights. I don't mind being up in high environments. I have climbed mountains and enjoyed the views. What I don't like is the potential that I might fall. That the cables will break and I will plunge down out of control. Perhaps some counselor or psychiatrist will analyze that and say, "Hmm. That's interesting!" I think it is because those devices represent one of the ultimate moments when you have no control over the situation.

Well we made it out okay. I even learned that the place was even larger than I originally imagine. There are also some great jewelry shops on the floor we were on. They even measure, cut, and set there own items on-site. We later went to Central Market and Fiesta. We were in search of TurrĂ³n de Alicante my mom’s favorite dessert from Spain.

No comments: