Monday, December 18, 2006

Semiotics: What is Friendship?

I had an extraordinary interview this afternoon for my dissertation study. During the conversation, the discussion turned to views about the definition of a friend. It is interesting how the term can mean different things to different people. There is also from what I have learned and read a cultural component to the word. For example, I have ordered my universe by creating a hierarchy of friend categories. I have friends through school that I have encountered through work, student organizations, volunteering, and classes. But oddly enough, many of these friendships are probably transitory, and I wonder if I would maintain them if the person moved or I did. I am sure I am not the only one that uses levels of friendship.

So I am not sure what word I would use to describe the few relationships that are the most meaningful. Best? Special? Close? Hmm. I don't like to use the word "true" friends since it in some way indicates all other people you have called friends are false in some way. I don't like where that leads to. I do agree that my closest relationships are reserved for those whom I would drop everything to help out and vice versa. They know you would have their back in a fight and vice versa. Could it be that in these closest relationships you must always take their side in a situation? I don't know if you have to adopt the position yourself but I'm thinking you must support and respect their side. There is an unconditional devotion that must exist in the closest of relationships especially important when one person in the relationship screws up. I look for bonds that withstand the peculiarities of my personality I bring to the table.

No comments: