Friday, January 5, 2007

Adventures in Finding a Relationship: A Tale of One Introvert

Okay something is definitely up. Ever since I went home for New Year's, I have been behaving quite out of character. It could be some sort of New Year's Resolution or it could just be I was tired of being alone. I spent the last semester taking some real stock on myself as a person: did I feel complete? was there something else I wanted to do? were there things that I missed about myself? who are my friends and what kind of relationships do I want? Just the usual self-reflection.

So I started on New Year's Day doing something I thought I would never do and I do mean never. Because of my personality (that INFP), I am not out on the prowl trying to find a girlfriend. In fact, I loathe bars and dance establishments and avoid them like the plague. So what did I end up doing to myself. Well I joined (or should I say was strongly encouraged to get my social life in gear) an on-line dating site where you post the kind of girl you want to meet. One of my already-in-a-relationship female friends bluntly told me she was tired of seeing me in my books and all alone.

So now I am looking at the posts, and I was quite shocked. The mix of girls/women (look I am not going to get into a feminist argument right now about the use of these words) was astonishing - freaks, shy, bold, slutty, sincere, compassionate, outdoor types, etc. And there is this whole new lingo I had to learn like LTR, NSA, and DDF. There are of course the spy bots and spam producers out there. I myself fell pray to this by not trusting my instincts. I won't do that again.

But wait, it didn't end there. I actually got some replies back and a picture. Talk about getting butterflies in your stomach. I wasn't really sure if this whole thing was real, but it was weird for a change to be making connections in a way I had never before. I am definitely not the one in the center of the room trying to grab attention. Hitting on a girl is not one of the skills that I would call mastered. Yeah you would have better luck with words like virgin, naive, or newbie. Now I am not a submissive type as many of my friends can attest, but I have always liked a girl who wanted a partner rather than a superior. She needs to feel okay making the first move on something or will both stand still.

There is more to come as I relay my adventures in MySpace. Apparently one of the replies I got asked for this, and I had been avoiding that system for some time. She was shocked that I didn't have one so I said WTF. Tell you about it soon...

No comments: